Moon River Oboe Reeds are handmade from scratch and 100% hand scraped. They are custom designed for players from West Texas and other drier southwestern climates. They are designed to achieve a larger aperture here in NY which offsets aperture shrinkage when shipped to players in arid climates. They are also a great option for other players who just prefer somewhat larger apertures. This strategy optimizes reed function and expands the universe of players who can enjoy my reeds.
- Made with 10.25-10.5 diameter cane drawn from my best medium strength brands.
- Finished with my signature American long scrape.
- Receives dozens of micro adjustments and quality tests prior to shipment.
- Made through a nuanced process that supports the optimum function of the four pillars of the oboe reed: stability, pitch, tone and response.
- Consult Moon River Collection Page For Full Construction Details
- Best oboe reeds for intermediate players with 12-18 months experience, and at least 8 months of private study.
- Tested in two rooms with and without carpet on a Loree 125 oboe. When I test reeds, I try to replicate the embouchure of the player I expect to purchase it, not my own.
- Inspected for defects that impact play and certified at or above grade level prior to shipping.
- Reed prep instructions are included.
- Light application of Vaseline to moisturize cork.
- Covid sanitized.