First Chair Professional Oboe Reeds are handmade from scratch and 100% hand scraped. Made with my coveted 2019 Rouche inventory, they have a beautiful tone, and response and are well balanced for pitch and stability. I match staple size; cane brand, size, gouge and shape; blank construction; and scrape to meet or exceed attributes in the reed description. Available in standard and elite professional grades and 46 and 47 mm staple lengths.
Cane: Rouche Oboe Cane in a M-MH strength from the Frejus region of France. Staple: Professional Chiarugi staple 47 mm # 2+ to manage aperture size and achieve extra projection. Shape: Mack/Pfeifer or similar. Blank Length: 72.5-73 mm. Finished Reed Length: 69.75-70 mm.
Signature American long scrape. Moderately defined tip. Heart .41-.43 in thickness (customized for cane strength and density). Moderate windows, defined heart/back with catch. Moderate spine, modified at base of reed to reduce internal dimensions and bring up pitch. Professional level response. Every reed gets dozens of micro adjustments and quality tests prior to certification and shipment.
- Tested in two rooms replicating the embouchure of the player I expect to purchase it, not necessarily my own.
- Tested on Howarth XL Oboe
- Reed prep instructions are included.
- Light application of Vaseline to moisturize cork.
- Covid sanitized.
- Reeds are guaranteed against cracks and leaks or other defects that impact play with a refund or replace remedy. They are otherwise not returnable.