Moon River Professional Oboe Reeds are handmade from scratch and 100% hand scraped to sound best. They are custom designed for players from West Texas and other drier southwestern climates. Players from less arid geographies who prefer a larger aperture than is typically achieved with my standard 10.5-11 diameter cane will also enjoy this brand.
They are constructed with 10.25-10.5 diameter cane from my world class inventory that I have been building since 2017. Cane is mounted on a unbranded Chiarugi 47 mm 2 staple. This combination increases aperture size which offsets the anticipated shrinkage that comes from dry climates.
American long scrape.
- Every reed gets dozens of micro adjustments and quality tests prior to certification and shipment.
- While these reeds are designed to be ready to play, some may need a small relative humidity adjustment to modify the size of the reed opening.
Recommended for advanced to expert players with a full developed production system.
- No two reeds are ever exactly the same, and in multiple reed orders one will always be best.
- Tested in two rooms with and without carpet on a Loree 125 oboe. When I test reeds, I try to replicate the embouchure of the player I expect to purchase it, not my own. If it is not a fit, I start over.
- Reed prep instructions are included.
- Light application of Vaseline to moisturize cork.
- Covid sanitized.
- Reeds are guaranteed against cracks and leaks or other defects with a refund or replace remedy. They are otherwise not returnable.
Moon River is a metaphor of yearning for the unpredictable eddies of an adventurous life, to be swept along by the currents to somewhere new: “Wherever you're going, I'm going your way.”