First Chair English Horn Reeds are beautifully crafted and finished at a pre-professional grade. They are warm and generally more responsive than our Magic Reed alternative. They are made through a nuanced process that supports the optimum function of the four pillars of the reed: stability, pitch, tone and response. They are made with an American long scrape with the same attention to detail as my oboe reeds. Recommended for students, adult amateurs, doublers and those on a budget.
- Construction: Frejus Oboe Cane in 12-12.5 diameter range. Giacobassi shape. 27 mm Chiarugi staples with a brass construction. Tie length is 59 mm and finished length is 55-56. It is a little shorter than some of the competitors, but I need the flexibility to manage pitch.
- Scrape: Multiple scrape and drying cycles. Reeds are finished with an American long scrape including a defined heart and tip. The tip is moderate in length. The rest is up to what is required by the individual characteristics of the cane in pursuit of the four pillars described above.
- Tested in two rooms with and without carpet on a Moennig 180D English horn.
- Reed prep instructions are included.
- Covid sanitized. Players are still advised to sanitize reeds on arrival.