Reed Monkey Student Oboe Reeds are handmade from scratch and feature a hybrid scrape that promotes a great intersection of quality, consistency and price. They have the most free-blowing, supple response within the Reed Monkey brand. My job is to create a reed structure that compensates for those production skills that have yet to develop so early learners sound better fasted. After all, sounding good is highly motivational for beginners, and we want them to stick around to become intermediates and then advanced players. My student reeds have more professional quality attributes than the rest, and are just what parent want for their future superstar.
Designed for optimum response for players with at least 6 months months experience who want to sound their best while learning their ABC's of music. Private study with a professional oboe teacher is recommended, but not essential for this model.
- I draw from my Headstart Profiled Reed inventory that features a light profile in preparation for a nuanced hand finishing.
- These Headstart Reed are custom built for this brand and model using my choice of medium to medium hard cane within my inventory.
- Chiarugi 47 mm professional staple.
- Finished with my signature American scrape.
- Every reed receives dozens of micro adjustments and quality tests prior to shipment.
- Finished at or above my high student reed standards
- Tested in two rooms with and without carpet on a Loree 125 oboe. When I test reeds, I try to replicate the embouchure of the player I expect to purchase it, not my own. If it is not a fit, I start over. They are inspected for defects that impact play and certified at or above grade level prior to shipping.
- No two reeds are ever exactly the same, and in multiple reed orders players will notice subtle differences in quality. This is to be expected.
- Reed prep instructions are included.
- Light application of Vaseline to moisturize cork.
- Covid sanitized.
Note: I try to keep this model in stock. Backorders Are Possible During Heavy Production Periods.