- Best Advanced Level Oboe Reeds For Players Seeking A Beautiful Warm Tone And A Choice Of Supple And Somewhat More Resistant Response Levels.
First Chair Professional Oboe Reeds are handmade from scratch and 100% hand scraped. They have a beautiful tone, a supple response and are well balanced for pitch and stability. I match staple size; cane brand, size, gouge and shape; blank construction; and scrape to meet or exceed attributes in the reed description.
Players seeking a more robust playing experience could consider Magic Reed or Avignon.
Cane: Medium regular density oboe cane that promotes best results (Rouche (M) and Vic (or Medir while supplies last) (MH). Staple: Professional Chiarugi staple 47mm 2 or 2+ to manage aperture size and achieve best result. Shape: Lucarelli or similar. Blank Length: 72.5-73 mm. Finished Reed Length: 69.75-70 mm.
Signature American long scrape. 100% hand scraped or hybrid scraped (extra definition and sometimes lighter) options. Moderately defined tip. Heart .41-.43 in thickness (customized for cane strength and density). Moderate windows, defined heart/back with catch. Moderate spine, modified at base of reed to reduce internal dimensions and bring up pitch. Professional level response. Every reed gets dozens of micro adjustments and quality tests prior to certification and shipment.
- Players seeking a 46 mm staple option can find it through the Moon River brand.
- Tested in two rooms replicating the embouchure of the player I expect to purchase it, not necessarily my own.
- Reed prep instructions are included.
- Light application of Vaseline to moisturize cork.
- Covid sanitized.
- Reeds are guaranteed against cracks and leaks or other defects with a refund or replace remedy. They are otherwise not returnable.