First Chair Intermediate Oboe Reeds are handmade from scratch and 100% hand scraped. They are designed to help developing students play their best with somewhat less effort. They have a beautiful tone, a supple response and are well balanced for pitch and stability. I match staple size; cane brand, size, gouge and shape; blank construction; and scrape to meet or exceed attributes in the reed description.
Designed for junior high, high school, and older college/adult amateurs who prefer a reed that is less taxing. Players with at lease 18 months experience with the ability to manage more resistance than the student model will enjoy this reed the most.
- Made with reed maker choice of Rouche (turquoise string) or Magic Reed Select (red string) oboe cane as conditions warrant.
- Paired with a Chiarugi professional 47 mm 2+ staple to achieve a slimline design. This reduces aperture size for gentler playing experience.
- Signature American long scrape.
- Every reed receives dozens of micro adjustments and quality tests prior to assignment and shipment.
- My goal is always to meet/exceed my strict quality standards for every reed I make- without compromise.
- Tested in two rooms with and without carpet on a Loree 125 oboe. When I test reeds, I try to replicate the embouchure of the player I expect to purchase it, not my own. If it is not a fit, I start over.
- Reed prep instructions are included.
- Light application of Vaseline to moisturize cork.
- Covid sanitized.
- Oboe Reeds are not returnable except for structural defects that impact reed function.