- Avignon Custom Oboe Reeds are handmade from scratch and 100% hand scraped. They represent my best work with construction designed to help elite professionals and highly accomplished adult amateurs play their best, earn their best reviews and fully enjoy music making. I match staple size; cane brand, size, gouge and shape; blank construction; and scrape to achieve the specific results my customers seek. They are made with Alliaud oboe cane with a black thread label.
- They are offered in 6 models: Original, Robust, Athletic, Slimline, Wide Body and Shorty. This new presentation is designed to help my customers order the best reed based on functional preferences without having to worry so much about the details. It also gives me extra room to use my judgment to achieve the results each buyer seeks.
- Includes an extra finishing cycles and quality sort vs. professional model.
- Every reed receives dozens of micro adjustments and quality tests prior to shipment.
- There is nothing like them on the market. They are made through a nuanced process that supports the optimum function of the four pillars of the oboe reed: stability, pitch, tone and response. All reeds are made with an American long scrape and exceed all quality standards in their category.
Beautiful oboe reeds with the optimum balance of response, expression and stability. These are highly defined reeds with visible distinctions between the parts. Medium to medium hard strength with cane in the 10.5-11 diameter range which produces a moderate aperture. Chiarugi #2 or 2+ 47 mm staples. They are highly playable, and my favorite because they don't over tax my embouchure and I can enjoy myself more. They sit between the Robust and Slimline options in terms of response.
Beautiful, truly professional level full-bodied oboe reed designed for a more robust, meaty response with extra expression. These are highly defined reeds with visible distinctions between the parts. Medium to medium hard strength with cane in the 10.5 diameter range which tends to increase the size of the aperture. Chiarugi #2 or 2+ 47 mm staples. Players report a nice lifespan with these reeds. Since we never over-scrape our reeds, players with reed adjustment skills will find room to further customize their experience.
Some players are in top athletic condition to play oboe. They have big lung capacities, fast wind speed and well developed embouchures. These players simply overwhelm the reeds that the rest of us enjoy so much. So, I build in extra resistance and finish with a thicker tip than my other models. Oboe athletes undoubtedly have conservatory training and reed adjustment skills. I count on their skills at fine-tuning the reed once in their care with simple scrapes to the heart and the tip to make it just right for them.
This professional oboe reed model is designed for those seeking a somewhat more free-blowing experience in combination with a relatively smaller aperture size than is featured in our Original model. Reeds are highly playable without needing to be over-scraped. My custom construction makes optimal expression possible. I combine my best medium strength cane in a larger diameter with a Chiarugi 47 mm 2+ professional staple. This modifies the aperture enough to finish the reed with a defined scrape like the Original model.
This model is designed for players who seek the darkest tone color that I am capable of producing through my signature scrape in combination with my custom materials management strategy. I draw from my best 10.5-11 diameter Marion (2017) oboe cane. This is a dense, rich cane that many elite players would buy in an instant, if I still sold it on my platform (I now reserve for my own use). I combine this with a wider shape (Liang or Westwind M) and a shorter staple, to raise the pitch which naturally drops with wider shapes. This is a difficult reed to make, and comes with a premium price because of the lower yield of reeds that I able to produce that are up to pitch.
This model combines my Original oboe reed model with a 46 mm staple, raising the pitch a little to help offset pitch challenges from production style or the oboe itself. Beautiful oboe reeds with the optimum balance of response, expression and stability. These are highly defined reeds with visible distinctions between the parts. Medium to medium hard strength with cane in the 10.5-11 diameter range which produces a moderate aperture. Chiarugi #2 46 mm staples. Finished length between 69 and 69.5 mm. They are highly playable, just like my original model. They sit between the Robust and Slimline options in terms of response.
- Black thread label.
- Handmade from scratch and to order using my premium inventory of Alliaud Oboe Cane. I always include many sorts and edits in this process.
- Medium range shape which is usually Mack-Pfeiffer unless otherwise specified by design.
- Mounted on professional Chiarugi # 2 or 2+ and 47 or 46 mm staples with a natural cork and brass core per model specifications per design selection.
- Tie length is 72 1/2-73 mm at my discretion. The cane is offset from the median by a couple of degrees to create extra torque in the tie.
- Multiple scrape and drying cycles, starting with 1) exposing the bark 2) installing a moderate hand profile in preparation for a finish 3) up to 2 hand finishing cycles if needed. This helps improve post ship reliability, and is always recommended when working with harder cane.
- Reeds are finished with a defined tip. See reed models regarding heart thickness and definition between heart and back.
- Finished length 70 mm or a smidge below.
- Each oboe reed is finished to concert standards. Only reeds that meet or exceed these standards will be shipped.
- No two reeds are ever exactly the same. No two customers are either. While I do not accept returns for reeds that might not be an exact fit to your own personal playing style, you can use the comment section on our checkout page to offer suggestions that will help me to make better match in subsequent orders.
- Tested in two rooms with and without carpet on a Loree 125 oboe. Reed prep instructions are included. I need to like every reed I sell. If I don't, it gets smashed and I reuse the staple. When I test these reeds, I try to replicate the embouchure of the player I expect to purchase it, not my own.
- Light application of Vaseline to moisturize cork in the event that player does not have some handy.
- Covid sanitized. Players are still advised to sanitize reeds on arrival.
- Reeds are guaranteed against cracks and leaks or other defects with a refund or replace remedy.